December 9, 2015
While crossing the street in Queens, a 50 year old man was struck by a large Sedan.
He was rushed to the New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center and they couldn’t
save his life despite their efforts. At approximately 9:23 on Wednesday night, the man was hit by the Pontiac as he crossed Starr Ave. at Van Dam St. in Long Island City, police said.
The driver of the car stayed at the site of the wreck. His vehicle had a shattered windshield as well as a large dent in the hood. The attending police officer could not immediately tell who was at fault in this accident. Mayor de Blasio made traffic fatalities a priority under his Vision Zero initiative. Legislation written under this plan made failure to yield to pedestrians who have the right of way, a misdemeanor if the accident results in death or serious injury.
Pedestrians are among the most vulnerable users of the road. “Unfortunately, pedestrians were one of the few groups of road users to experience an increase in fatalities in the United States in 2013, totaling 4,735 deaths.” The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports. Every pedestrian is at risk of injury or death from traffic crashes no matter what their age, but some people are at higher risk.
- Pedestrians that are male are more likely to be injured or die in a crash with a motor vehicle than females.
- Young adult (ages 15-29 years) and teen pedestrians will be more likely to be treated in emergency rooms for crash-related injuries than that of any other age group.
- In 2012, 34% of all pedestrians killed in traffic crashes were legally drunk, with a blood alcohol level of greater than or equal to 0.08 grams per deciliter.
- Children as pedestrians are at an even greater risk of death or injury from traffic crashes due to their small size, as well as due to their lack of experience judging distances and speeds, and their lack of understanding of traffic rules. Nearly one in four traffic deaths among children ages 14 and under are pedestrian deaths.
Even with the dangers, everyone knows that walking is good for your health, and that it is good for the environment too. However, before you head out for a stroll around the neighborhood, a power walk, or an errand, you should take the necessary steps to be safe when walking on roadways. Make these safety precautions a normal part of your routine:
- Exercise caution at intersections. Always, always, use crosswalks.
- Refrain from staring down at your smartphone. Keep your eyes on the road.
- If you use headphones to listen to music, keep the volume low enough to hear the traffic around you.
- Increase your visibility at night by wearing retro-reflective clothing.
- Carry a flashlight at night for better visibility for yourself and for others to see you.
If you suffered a personal injury in New York or if a family member of yours was killed in a pedestrian accident caused by a negligent driver, it is important to seek a New York Personal Injury Attorney. Pulvers Thompson Personal Injury Lawyers has an established reputation successfully working New York personal injuries for over 70 years. They will help you ensure that your legal rights are protected. They can help you recover fair compensation for lost wages, medical costs due to related injury, long-term diminished quality of life, and loss of life compensation for immediate family.